Moving from an on-premise Demantra application to the Oracle Demand Management (DM) Cloud can unlock a wide range of benefits, from more accurate forecasting to rapid responses to changes in demand across the supply chain. At the same time, the prospect of making this transition can seem daunting.
How much will it cost? Will it stay on schedule? Can multiple data sources be properly integrated into the new system? These questions and others are common concerns for organizations eyeing a Demand Management Cloud migration. Making a smooth transition requires an experienced business partner with the right technical tools and processes.
Let’s get more granular. There are five key components common to every successful migration from Demantra to DM Cloud:
1. A multi-phase methodology for project planning and execution
A successful DM Cloud migration requires a seasoned methodical approach. Before any data, models, or configurations are moved, it is important to:
- Map out key existing processes and relevant baselines
- Scope out the intended processes and define success criteria
- Gather functional and technical design requirements
- Establish a communication structure for project team
- Incorporate change management and training for the users
- Begin designing and reviewing prototypes.
To keep your Demand Management Cloud migration on track, AVATA follows a five-phase methodology that encompasses all the above points and many others:
- Analysis: What are the key requirements that needs to be migrated?
- Vision: What should the post-migration design look like?
- Assembly: How will data conversions and configuration management be handled? What’s needed in terms of testing and validation?
- Transition: How will the users be trained? How to migrate the final changes to PROD?
- Adoption: How do managed services and support fit into the lifecycle of the newly adopted DM Solution?
All the above are accomplished by standardized project governance, efficient business process redesign, and streamlined change management, all of which simplify the otherwise overwhelmingly complex cloud migration journey.
2. Proper data integration and migration
When a Demantra application is migrated to the DM Cloud, business data from multiple sources may need to be integrated and validated before being published.
Possible data sources could be flat files, CSV files, Excel spreadsheets and configurations, and hierarchies pulled from a different ERP system like SAP, Oracle EBS, Oracle JD Edwards, NetSuite system and others.
Successfully moving everything can be tricky, especially when considering how even relatively simple data exports can run into problems.
The more complex data integrations involved in a Demantra transition require a platform capable of seamlessly integrating and validating all the information destined for the Oracle DM Cloud. Within the AVATA Demantra to DM Cloud Express, all information passes through an integration platform before publication to the cloud. More specifically, multiple data types are handled more accurately:
- Inbound Dimensional values and transactional data are mapped to predesigned Oracle FBDI templates.
- Forecast overrides and forecast archives can be moved using special AVATA accelerators.
- DM cloud publish routines can be created as well to align data with its destination system(s).
3. Migration of Data Model and configurations
While some of Demantra’s model and configuration entities can be moved right into the DM Cloud, others do not require direct migration and can instead be replaced to an equivalent cloud functionality. A solution like AVATA’s DM Cloud Express ensures you find the optimal approach to migrate different Demantra components, such as in the following use cases:
Migration of forecasting Engine Components
- Demantra settings for Engine Tuning can be ported into DM cloud using an accelerator.
- AVATA also offers a pathway for moving Demantra Causal Factors into an Oracle FBDI.
- For Forecasting Profiles, multiple Engine Profiles are allowed in DM Cloud.
Migration of other components
- While worksheets cannot be directly migrated, but AVATA’s DM Cloud Express has some accelerators for speedy migration.
- Model Structures don’t have to be migrated but are instead configured easily by data load process.
- Member Management and Chaining Management translate to the Product Launch functionality in DM Cloud.
4. Automation instead of manual activities
As we hinted in the introduction section, Demantra to Demand Management Cloud migrations have a perception for being time-consuming and costly. One big reason is the persistence of manual workflows throughout the transition process.
Such manual actions may include capturing and cleansing data from many disparate sources — all while using a different solution for each source and going through numerous testing phases to ensure that everything is working correctly.
Given the general complexity of transitioning from Demantra to the Oracle DM Cloud, doing all this work manually can quickly add up. Configurations and data need to be moved, but coming up with the necessary scripts, and templates to do so can set speed up the project progress.
AVATA’s DM Cloud Express bundled with Oracle FBDI templates, programs, adaptors, scripts and other essentials into one coherent offering that can be fine-tuned specifically for each customer’s unique environment. This solution in turn reduces the total amount of manual work required. Although one-time manual configurations may still be necessary in some cases, the project becomes much more automated, with a shorter time to implementation.
5. Effective Change Management
Handling the change from Demantra to DM Cloud requires more than moving data, models, and configurations from the old system to a newer one. It also requires structured guidance for the end users who will be relying on the DM Cloud application daily.
Training and documentation are both integral to ensuring the best possible user experience, as well as effective overall change management. Moreover, post-go-live support, audits, and managed services all help to shore up the DM Cloud solution and keep it as aligned with organization-specific requirements as possible, improving the adoption of the new system
AVATA’s Demantra to DM Cloud Express provides the easiest and cost-effective path to DM Cloud. Learn more by downloading the datasheet, or dive even deeper by viewing our on-demand webinar on the topic.
Considering a move to DM Cloud? Before you make your journey, the infographic illustrates 7 Key considerations to keep top of mind.